This appliance is used when there is a non-compliance issue with wearing elastics or if the correction needed is greater than what can be achieved with elastics alone.
What to Expect
- The first few days with your new mara will be an adjustment period. Your teeth may be a bit sore. Please feel free to take Tylenol or Ibuprofen.
- Initially, you will produce extra saliva in your mouth. This will subside in a few days.
- You may have difficulty pronouncing some words at first. We recommend reading out loud in the beginning until you get used to it.
- You may also feel that you can’t swallow the way you did before. This is only temporary.
- Eating may feel awkward at first so try softer foods.
Dr. B’s Rules
- Please brush your mara when you brush your teeth.
- Don’t eat any sticky, chewy candy or gum. These can loosen the appliance.
- Don’t eat nuts or popcorn. These can get caught under the wires and in the springs of the mara and can cause irritation of your gums or can result in an infection.